Friday, August 5, 2011

Life As We Know It...

..has sorta been a train wreck.  Seriously.
I'm having trouble keeping up. TGIF!
In the last 7 days:
- Learned baby sister's cord is wrapped around her neck 3-4 times. My OB actually said, "But don't panic."  Yeah, right.
- Sought the advice of multiple others in the medical field about what this means.
- Broke down in tears on several occasions hearing the advice.
- Had a plumber come and tell us the water heater is about to go out and we need a new one. ASAP.
- Been without water on and off for hours at a time as the the basement plumbing is completed.
- Been without internet or home telephone service on and off the last 5 days?!!?
- The washing machine broke mid-cycle..full of water, soap and clothes!
- Learned how to siphon water with the garden hose out of the washing machine.
- Went to the hospital for a non-stress-test after not feeling baby move for a morning.
- Hospitalized for pre-term contractions and given 2 injections to try and stop these.
- Got in a tiff with my OB because he keeps telling me to "not panic about this cord!" and refuses to keep a closer watch on her as others are recommending.
- Hosted a Premier Design's Jewelry Party (FUN!)
- Had to lay down multiple times because I just didn't feel like I could get enough air in my lungs to be standing.
- Called about a zillion maternal-fetal OB practices BEGGING them to take me as a third-trimester patient.
- Was turned down by about a zillion practices as soon as they heard about the cord issue. (Liability, schmialability! Grr!)
- Was asked by my goofy Ryan why I am talking to so many Drs on the phone, was it to save our baby from dying? (Possibly the most serious I've ever seen him be).
- Wanted to HUG Chantel a nice nurse at Dr. Webb's office who said I could come in for a consultation after I harrassed her three times on the telephone!
- Learned yesterday after this consultation and ultrasound that she has (THANK YOU GOD!!) unwrapped herself all but once! While we were watching her on the ultrasound she was trying to bat the remaining cord away from her neck/face.

My hero. Ok, it's not really Batman, but when you let your 6 year old son loose with the camera, it comes back with photos of train sets and super heroes. =)
My hero this week has been the hubby.  He's managed to:
- restore our internet and telephone service after a trip to Best Buy (which seriously, shouldn't be called Best Buy...it should be "More-Expensive-But-You-Get-It-Faster-Than-Ordering-Online-Buy."
- FIX the washing machine after ordering two parts online. THIS was amazing to me..someone who grew up in a house where we fixed NOTHING.  When something broke, we didn't TELL my dad, mom just called the repair serviceman out or bought a new one.  So, when Jeff and I first got married I really doubted some of his handyman abilities, but time and time again I have been shocked and impressed.  The perks of the engineer mind and the savings of $2K!
- Texted our pediatrician (LOVE DR. STAHL!) while I was hospitalized about what we needed to do next and took charge.
- Didn't even make a face when the nurse said I needed to be on "pelvic rest". Sorry babe!
- Made tough decisions about staying with my regular OB or "breaking up" with him to head to a specialist seem like black and white when I was in agony.

Next week is going to be a breeze.  It HAS to be after this week!

2 comments:

Charisa said...

Woof! That's quite the week! Glad to hear that it sounds like it's winding down and baby sis is doing ok!

Take care of yourself and here's to a calmer week ahead!

Unknown said...

Hang in there, Erica!