Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mean Green Machine + First Solids!


My kids LOVE the Naked Green Machine Smoothie.  I LOVE that (although high in natural sugar), they are eating LOTS of green things! And it's so fresh, no preservatives, yada yada yada!  We recently found these for the awesome price of $4.99/bottle at Costco, but I have always thought this expensive habit (usually $9.99/bottle at our local Dierburgs) seemed like something we could recreate fairly easily.  So tonight, using some fresh (and frozen) goodness we had on hand, we made these amazing smoothies out of:
1 kiwi
1 banana
2 cups Stoneyfield Organic Low Fat Vanilla Yogurt
A few handfuls of fresh spinach leaves
A few handfuls of broccoli
Handful of frozen red grapes
Handful of frozen strawberries

I thought Ry was going to protest the spinach, because in "real life" he doesn't usually choose to eat this.  I had the Naked juice bottle we had finished up earlier to show him the picture of that so he would know I wasn't trying to pull a fast one on him or anything. For some strange reason, proof wasn't even necessary. He got to press the "on" button and that was excitement enough for him.  The kids LOVED it.  I am super excited to know that I now have a way to get these greens into him also.  So tonight, our family "drank" our dinner...kinda weird, actually. Truthfully, I was hungry about an hour later and had to heat up an egg sandwich.  Maybe we'll try and add some nuts or protein powder next time...

THIS is what it looked like.  Nasty, actually!! I think had the kids not been in on the making it process, they NEVER would have tried it. I sure wouldn't have!

...and while I'm having a "foodie" post, we must share pics that I snapped tonight of Emerson tasting her first "solid" foods...rice cereal with DHA.  She was NOT a fan.

While I realize it's a terrible picture of the kids, for the sake of the "first food" mumbo jumbo, and because I know this will NEVER make it to actual print and in the baby book (poor poor third child!), here it is! Juls looks sad because she is.  Right before this, I told her she had to go to her room for 5 minutes for screaming.
Again. 
Hopefully, that's just a phase!

No comments: