Friday, December 14, 2012

Memorable Family Fun

Tonight we took the "big" kids to see The Nutcracker at the Touhill Arts Center on UMSTL's campus.
The kids wanted to watch a DVD on the drive over, but I told them we were going to talk instead.  They just don't understand why.  I told them it helps us build relationships.  So the kids talked about their days, about how Julia's teacher is back to school and she's so glad that the "worst guest teacher ever Mrs. S is gone".  And then Ry says, "Hey, what does 'sexy' mean?"  We were totally unprepared for that one. I stalled for time and asked where he heard that word. He said his friend Andrew was singing "I'm sexy and I know it." I first told him it was like "handsome" or "beautiful", and he was like, "oh, I thought it meant like popular or something."  And so he says something like "So if you think someone is pretty you tell them they are sexy?"  So I did my best to explain that it's kinda a "personal" thing that maybe a husband would tell his wife and such, but that we shouldn't use that word to other people.  I think Ry understood.  Let's hope, or we might get an interesting note home from the teacher!!!
Intermission time at The Nutcracker
What the kids say about their first ballet experience:
Sugar Plum Fairy: Good
Nutcracker: Where are the words? Are they only going to dance? That's kinda girlie!

No comments: