Sunday, July 6, 2008

We're Home!

This morning we had to wake the kids up EARLY to get to the airport. If you want to know what happens when you wake your kid up at 5:15am (really 4:15 St. Louis time!)..it is NOT pretty. Just take my word for that one.

Both kids were really pretty good on our first flight from NY to Baltimore. This is where things got, uh, interesting. We had a short layover in Baltimore where we were to stay on the plane about 45 minutes before it took off again. During this time Ry DEMANDED to get off the plane. Usually we can explain things well enough that he understands them, but the fact that we told him we did NOT live here, knew no one and wouldn't have a place to go didn't matter to him.

I feared he actually might get his way about exiting the plane there, because I think we were making all the flight attendants nervous with this complete meltdown, and it didn't help that baby sister was also having her own meltdown at the same time! Two of them tried hard to pull out all their bag of tricks, but Ry wasn't interested, and both kids started screaming when we tried to bring them up to show them the cockpit!

We were in the front row, so all the people boarding the plane were greeted with our screaming, fit-throwing, overtired kids. I can't imagine what they were thinking!!! I will say that the guy who sat across the isle from us in the front row was VERY forgiving and kind.

Fortunately, as we got moving again Julia finally fell asleep, and the flight attendants broke the rules for us about getting out of your seat while we were ascending and she also allowed us to get Ry's train set out of the overhead compartment. He was given permission to lay on the floor in front of our seats and into the isle to play his trains. (THANK YOU, AUNT STACY for the new train set - it was a lifesaver!!!)

So, after that madness, the flight actually was really calm. Julia slept until it was time to land and Ry played his trains and cars on the floor. I even got to read some of my book!!

Oh..on the way home, Ry said "I want to go back to York City and see Aunt Stacy and Grandma and Papa too!"

1 comment:

Stacy said...

OH, what a terrible trip home. I guess you know for the next visit :) that you need to pick a flight that allows you off the plane.