Monday, September 28, 2009

Hunger Challenge

Tonight I heard about the Hunger Challenge. A local food outreach organization is encouraging people (during the month of September, but hey, we can be a bit late!) to try and experience what it is like to live on food stamps for a week. In the St. Louis area, the dollar amount of a weekly allotment of stamps is $28.91. Could you live on this amount for 1 week?

We are hosting a dinner party this weekend, so that puts us totally out for this week. I somehow can't muster up the courage (or desire) to drag others into this venture and force them to eat Ramen noodles. (Would one still serve that on china?) =)

The way I figure, since we have a family of 4, this breaks down like this:
$28.91/person x 4
= $115.64 total to spend

Which means we are spending:
$16.52/day
$5.50/total meal
$1.37/per person for each meal

Oh wow. This will be a tough challenge...Bring it on! I have a feeling at the end of the week we are all going to realize just how blessed we are.

Anyone up for trying this out next week with us? Monday, October 5-Sunday, Oct 11?
Leave a comment if you are up for the challenge! =)
(And let me know how you feel about being able to consume food already in your pantry as a part of that week!)

3 comments:

Vetter Family said...

Okay... I might take you up on this. I am going to talk it over with Shawn. Just read the article today about how 1 in 7 people in our area is below poverty level (22K for a family of four).

Unknown said...

It wouldn't even be a challenge for me. Some milk and cereal and I'd be set :)

Bauerfamilyof5 said...

OK...we'll play. Although, I suspect that our weekly amount will be higher because the cost of groceries is SO much higher, and I'll have to add on one more kiddo. We'll try really hard to stay under the amount, but I spend $350 a week on groceries....equaling 50! a day, so I'm sure we'll fail miserably.