New Year's Day my parents hung out with the kids so Jeff and I could grab some dinner and a movie. We saw Marley & Me. (Which, if you have been living under a rock, is a story about a couple and their TERRIBLE dog, Marley). Well, this movie brought back LOTS of memories for us about our dog, which we think might be a close second for the worst dog ever! As I think I have mentioned before, she earns her keep because the kids adore her so much...and I can't get her to run away and I haven't had good enough aim backing the car over her --yet. (KIDDING!)
To give you a better impression of what I am talking about, Kate has eaten the handle off of coffee mugs, soup bowls, DVDs, CDs, almost an entire baseball card collection (she prefers the "special" cards in the hard plastic cases), matchbox cars, doll arms, Little People figurines, Thomas train track, etc. We once tried to put a 4x4 foot fence in the basement while we were working since she couldn't have run of the basement with this type of behavior and we felt bad crating her all day, and she was able to somehow get out of that even. Our vet tells us she has extreme separation anxiety, and that she has hormone issues, so we give her hormone pills (ok, who am I kidding, Jeff gives her!) once a day, which she refuses to take unless they are smoothered with peanut butter and you smoosh them as far down her throat as possible!
Here is part of an email I wrote after our first few days with our dearest Kate, back in June 2003. (Which means she can't have THAT much longer to live, right?!?)
I got home around 3pm, and the dog had "#2-ed" ALL over herself and her cage and her blanket and toys. It stunk SO BAD. So I open her cage to bring her outside, and I open it and grab hold of her collar and as we're walking to the door, she's shaking and flinging poop all over me and everything else! It was soso gross. So I tie her up in the front yard hoping she'll continue shaking and going through the grass to get some of those chunks off her. I go inside to clean up the mess in there but she won't stop barking out front, and I get nervous that maybe I am not supposed to have tied her up like that, so I go get her, and we go upstairs to the tub. Oh man, wish it could have ended there! So I'm trying to hang on to her as best as I can, and she thinks it's play time, but sees I'm filling up the tub. So I'm trying to keep her close, without completely rubbing all over me - she's still really gross at this point, despite the fact that she's flug many of the chuncks that were stuck to her hair off. STINKY. So I fill up the tub, and stick her in...and she's being very good letting me clean her (eeewwwwww) until it's time for her face. She wasn't wanting that wet at all. So I fill this tuperware up and am drizzling it over her head and she takes off. She jumps up on back side of the tub, knocking in all the candles and bottles of bath gel and flowers into the water. Then she starts shaking all over everything...but she's on the far corner of the tub and from this distance I can't reach her and she's just standing up there. So I have to strip down, walk into the poopy water and grab her wet self. EURG. She enjoyed the drying off part, so that was good. So then I dry her off for the most part, and leave her in the bathroom and go call Jeff at work to tell him what's going on back at the house. Then I go back to the bathroom to get her and we go downstairs and I shake out all the chunks that aren't smooshed into the blanket outside and throw her blanket into the washing machine along with her washable toys. Then we drag her icky cage outside to hose down and vacuum up some mess that had scattered outside the cage and when she was flinging all around on her way to the door to go out. So then we go back upstairs and I'm going to clean out the tub, and I'm talking to her, and she squats down and begins to pee. So I scream and grab her midstream and we run down the steps and outside. So then Emily calls, and I'm like "PLEASE HELP ME" and so she comes over, and things seem back under control. So we're Katie is eating a bone, and Emily and I are taking and looking at her, and Emily is just saying how she seems like a really good dog and she heads into the family room and squats - so again I scream, grab her midstream and we head outside. Not long after that, Jeff calls for us to get him from the bus stop and Em takes off and Katie and I head to pick up Jeff. Then I went to my tennis league at 7...let me tell you - I don't REMEMBER a time when I was SO happy to get out of the house!!! Real babies CANNOT be this tough! It was quite an exhausting day!
To give you a better impression of what I am talking about, Kate has eaten the handle off of coffee mugs, soup bowls, DVDs, CDs, almost an entire baseball card collection (she prefers the "special" cards in the hard plastic cases), matchbox cars, doll arms, Little People figurines, Thomas train track, etc. We once tried to put a 4x4 foot fence in the basement while we were working since she couldn't have run of the basement with this type of behavior and we felt bad crating her all day, and she was able to somehow get out of that even. Our vet tells us she has extreme separation anxiety, and that she has hormone issues, so we give her hormone pills (ok, who am I kidding, Jeff gives her!) once a day, which she refuses to take unless they are smoothered with peanut butter and you smoosh them as far down her throat as possible!
Here is part of an email I wrote after our first few days with our dearest Kate, back in June 2003. (Which means she can't have THAT much longer to live, right?!?)
I got home around 3pm, and the dog had "#2-ed" ALL over herself and her cage and her blanket and toys. It stunk SO BAD. So I open her cage to bring her outside, and I open it and grab hold of her collar and as we're walking to the door, she's shaking and flinging poop all over me and everything else! It was soso gross. So I tie her up in the front yard hoping she'll continue shaking and going through the grass to get some of those chunks off her. I go inside to clean up the mess in there but she won't stop barking out front, and I get nervous that maybe I am not supposed to have tied her up like that, so I go get her, and we go upstairs to the tub. Oh man, wish it could have ended there! So I'm trying to hang on to her as best as I can, and she thinks it's play time, but sees I'm filling up the tub. So I'm trying to keep her close, without completely rubbing all over me - she's still really gross at this point, despite the fact that she's flug many of the chuncks that were stuck to her hair off. STINKY. So I fill up the tub, and stick her in...and she's being very good letting me clean her (eeewwwwww) until it's time for her face. She wasn't wanting that wet at all. So I fill this tuperware up and am drizzling it over her head and she takes off. She jumps up on back side of the tub, knocking in all the candles and bottles of bath gel and flowers into the water. Then she starts shaking all over everything...but she's on the far corner of the tub and from this distance I can't reach her and she's just standing up there. So I have to strip down, walk into the poopy water and grab her wet self. EURG. She enjoyed the drying off part, so that was good. So then I dry her off for the most part, and leave her in the bathroom and go call Jeff at work to tell him what's going on back at the house. Then I go back to the bathroom to get her and we go downstairs and I shake out all the chunks that aren't smooshed into the blanket outside and throw her blanket into the washing machine along with her washable toys. Then we drag her icky cage outside to hose down and vacuum up some mess that had scattered outside the cage and when she was flinging all around on her way to the door to go out. So then we go back upstairs and I'm going to clean out the tub, and I'm talking to her, and she squats down and begins to pee. So I scream and grab her midstream and we run down the steps and outside. So then Emily calls, and I'm like "PLEASE HELP ME" and so she comes over, and things seem back under control. So we're Katie is eating a bone, and Emily and I are taking and looking at her, and Emily is just saying how she seems like a really good dog and she heads into the family room and squats - so again I scream, grab her midstream and we head outside. Not long after that, Jeff calls for us to get him from the bus stop and Em takes off and Katie and I head to pick up Jeff. Then I went to my tennis league at 7...let me tell you - I don't REMEMBER a time when I was SO happy to get out of the house!!! Real babies CANNOT be this tough! It was quite an exhausting day!
1 comment:
Remember when we found Kate and Brian said you absolutely had to adopt her, that he could tell she would be such a good a good dog and would give you no problems?
Post a Comment