Monday, August 18, 2008

Monday

Welcome home to us! It's been a fun Monday so far...I think these little out of town trips without the kids sure do help! We woke up this morning and the kids played so great together while I started up the laundry. We made eggs, and Julia and I had that (Ry doesn't eat eggs...was hoping it was just a phase, but it's lasting long enough I think he might not really like them!) and Ry had cereal. Then we went for about a mile walk around the neighborhood. I pushed Julia in the jogger, and Ryan pushed his little US Postal Service vehicle/car in the play baby stroller of Julia's. (Guess this is the difference between boys and girls? Julia pushes dolls around in her stroller, and Ryan loads it up with vehicles. hehe!)When we came home from our walk, we noticed our bird feeder was getting low on seed, so we filled it back up. Ry is checking it saying to me "Yup, there is seed in there, Mommy!"
Then we came inside and Ry played on the computer while Julia ate lunch (Ry insisted he wasn't hungry!) After that, I pulled out the coloring bin for the kids and Julia made a lovely (yes, I admit that is a very very biased opinion) marker drawing and Ry colored an apple coloring page his new teacher sent home from Open House last week and asked them to return on the first day of school.
I noticed the newspaper had a coloring contest, which Ry thus far has had total disinterest in coloring, but today he was easily convinced!
Look at this potential winner!!!

Here is a crazy story from last night:
We get home from youth, get the kids to bed, and I am shockingly not ready to drop over from fatigue. (Maybe we should go out of town every weekend! hehe). Anyways, I decide to use this opportunity to run to Walmart and get the rest of the things on the kids school supply lists. TWO HOURS later, I still was not home. I checked out at 11pm when they were closing, after feeling like I was playing a scavenger hunt trying to find the stuff. For those of you who haven't been in our local WalMart lately, maybe just stay away until they finish this current construction...NOTHING is in the same place as it once was. And NOTHING is grouped together..you would think they would TRY and put all the school supplies together, or even in the same vicinity, right? NOPE. It didn't help that I had some fairly specific things...I did try and find the "two fat pencils" and the "Crayola So-Big Paintbrush" at Target last week unsuccessfully. Had I not already been there, I for SURE wouldn't have stuck out the scavenger hunt as long. I asked 3 separate employees during my visit about stuff and the answer I got (no exaggeration!) was "your guess is as good as mine!" What a LOVELY shopping experience.

After leaving Walmart, I notice the gas light came on in the car, so I decided to fill it up so Jeff didn't start the morning on "E"! So I stopped to pump gas, and I am guessing during this stop my wonderful husband tried to call my cell phone..of course, I didn't hear it, and thus, did not answer. In an absolute panic, he calls my mother to report me "missing" telling her I left two hours ago to buy school supplies and grab a jug of milk and have yet to return. Thankfully, my mother realized that it wasn't unheard of to spend 2 hours on a "little" shopping trip, and told Jeff she'd try and call me before she rushed over to watch the kids while he went out looking for me. Of course, by the time she tried to call, I was back in the car and SHOCKED that this search was nearly underway. When I got home and asked Jeff how many times he tried to call, he said "Once!" Ok, ladies...if we freaked out like this every time our husbands were unreachable....well, it'd be nearly daily!!! To his credit, he is reading some crazy terrorist type of book right now...and, well, I think his imagination got the best of him...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Erica! Found your blog through Sonya's new one...your kids are so cute and have gotten so big since we last saw you guys! Hope all is well.

Nicole Diehl