Sunday, December 7, 2008

Getaway Weekend

Each December, Jeff and I try and take a weekend trip to Chicago. It is something that we both look forward to so much, and this year was no exception! Despite the freezing (like 8 degree!) temperatures, we had a really awesome trip! Our adventure began early Saturday morning with a quick stop for mocha drinks and then a 5 hour train ride where we chatted, watched a movie, ate and read.

We spent our time leisurely Christmas shopping..(and some shopping for ourselves!), dining..(without having to say "quiet down!" or "Please sit back down in your seat!" or "Be careful so you don't spill your drink!"), seeing the movie "Four Christmases", more shopping (and actually getting to try things on without attempting to keep two children contained in a fitting room!), sleeping in, meeting up with Jeff and Amy (who ironically were visiting there this weekend also!), and with no schedule! It was SO NICE!
(And a BIG thanks to Aunt Stacy for spending her entire weekend with our children!!)
Christmastime in downtown Chicago is very festive...lights and trees everywhere! Here is a picture of Jeff in front of the Macy's 41st annual story window display.
And me, on the way to dinner right before we caught the train home, in front of the Chicago Board of Trade building. We tried a new restaurant this year, and I give it a HUGE thumbs up! If only I could remember the name of it! But the bruschetta, sweet potato fries and Thai peanut chicken appetizers were all AMAZING!

On the way home, Jeff reminded me that these weekends are so good for us (as if I needed reminding at that point!) "because they remind us that we have a story too, not just as parents." How right he is. And how happy I am that I get to be a part of his story!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Stacy said...

And Grandma! She let us come over to her house both days and play.

Bauerfamilyof5 said...

Wow! I'm SOOOO jealous. Eddie and I were just talking about how we haven't had more then 12 hours alone in together in like, 3 years. Sucks!