Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Irony


Today I found myself in the tax assessor's office to appeal our taxes yet again. (Actually, to appeal the fact that they denied our last appeal..Merry Christmas to us. Grr!). As I am standing at the counter at the mercy of the very nice, albeit uninformed clerk, I glance down to see a mug full of these nail files. I had to laugh (it was that or cry and I thought the latter might be too embarrassing) at the appropriateness. I am not personally a nail biter, although I can imagine anyone who has a tendency for this habit would surely cave in this office. No worries, you might be paying over $6,000 in property taxes each year, but your lovely assessor will be providing you with a file for the nail biting this will lead to when they tell you "tough luck" as they remind you this number will change yet again next year, when the multiplier goes into effect. (Whatever that is!)
So, I will try and not remind myself of the fantastic vacation we could take as I write out that check, or the fact if we threw it into the college fund in another 14 years when Ry is ready to attend it might actually pay for a nice chunk of tuition $$!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Bauerfamilyof5 said...

Hey, it could be worse. Your house is probably valued at 60,000 more then mine and we pay 8,000 a year!!! Just think what you'd be paying if you lived in good ole NY!