Sunday, December 14, 2008

Time for a change

Friday night, I returned home from my tennis Christmas dinner to walk in the door and find my husband with the vacuum in his hand, the washing machine/dryer and dishwasher running. GASP! As soon as I lifted my jaw up off the floor and recovered from the awe, I asked "WHERE has my husband gone, and who are you?"

And you know what he said to that? "He ran away with his wife that used to clean!" More GASP! And, sadly, true!

We have been so busy around here with all the fun Christmas activities that I have admittedly, let things slip around here...ok, or more than a little. Here is a little list I have made of things gone awry around here...when they start happening around your house, make a note to get cleaning, or your husband might take off too! =)

You know it is time to really clean when:
10) It is necessary to do a load of laundry so that the children have clean socks for the day.
9) You couldn't host a dinner party if you wanted to; the dining room table is now home to Christmas platters without "homes" and children's clothing/shoes waiting to be listed on Ebay.
8) You have started buying more containers, because somehow it seems if the mess is "contained" it seems nicer...and then those containers overflow and you lay the extras next to them.
7) The fingerprints on the television screen are getting really annoying.
6) The lazy-susan won't turn anymore.
5) You can't squeeze even another paper towel into the trash can.
4) A Julia has visited your restroom. (See previous post).
3) When you tell the kids it's time to make the beds they respond, "Make the beds???" as if they don't have the slightest idea what that means.
2) You must call your cordless telephones from your cell phone to find them.
1) And lastly, when you do pull out the vacuum, your son asks, "Who is coming over, Mommy?"
0) And when you go to put the vacuum back in the closet, apparently "settling" has occurred because it just won't fit!

(Which, I might add, I was shocked by that last one...I seriously do have a love affair with my consumer reports award-winning vacuum and therefore use it crazy often. If you are in the market for a new one..check it out. You will be excited to tackle this chore..yes, that is possible!).

So, tomorrow...planning for a jammie day around here...and a cleaning/organizational overhaul! (Mondays are usually just laundry day...guess we'll get a little crazy around here..watch out. HA).

6 comments:

Tasha Roe said...

It sounds like my house! LOL

I have that SAME vacuum!! and am in LOVE with it as well. Our local Sears Hardware store closed a few months ago and they had one 30% off. Sweet deal!

Carly Winborne said...

cracking me up! remember, that monday's are our dreaded task days! Looks like you have your choice of them. wishing we lived closer so i could come help!

(we'd do my house another day!)

Anonymous said...

I loved this post! We got home earlier than planned yesterday from our Christmas weekend with Matt's extended family, so I busted it and got 6 loads of laundry done (including the boys' sheets, which were back on their beds last night!). That means, for ONCE in my life, that Monday isn't my laundry day. Well, I still have to fold everything. But the boys can help since they're off school today b/c of the ice.

My house is suffering right now, too. I have a similar vacuum that I bought 2 years ago and I still love getting it out! Good luck today with the cleaning.

Linkis Family Love said...

I am a master at your #8. Bins, bins everywhere-so Brian asks constantly, "why the piles all around and on top of the bins?" Hmm, just no good answer that I can think of????? HELP! ha-
Wanna feel better....the other week, I actually forgot where I put the vacuum cleaner. Had to search it out and finally found it in the garage! OY! Honestly, I think I stuck it out there in haste when someone was coming over, and I didn't have time to fight the mess to get it back in a closet. (smile)
Kelli <><<

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh at your #2. It reminded me of when we lived together and you left w/ our house cordless phone thinking you were on your cell phone until the house phone died while you were driving down the street! Then, you called me from your cell to tell me you had the house phone :-) Jeff's response to you was hilarious. Kirk was laughing hard at that one!

Melissa said...

I have to say, I'm a little relieved. From reading your blog, I wondered how you keep up with everything while also adding in crafts, playdates, outing, school stuff. Good to know we all have to juggle sometimes. : ) And good to be reminded our hubbies can operate vacuums too. : )